Homemade Mushroom Soup
- 1/2 lb
- fresh mushrooms – sliced
- of a large sweet white onion – chopped
- 3 or 4 Tbsp
- 1/3 c
- 1/2 c
- red wine (optional)
- salt & pepper (or other spices) to taste
- 1 pinch
- 14-ounce cans beef stock
How to Make Homemade Mushroom Soup
- 1Saute onion in butter until translucent — but not brown — over medium heat in a medium-large saucepan.
- 2Add fresh mushrooms and continue the saute for just a few minutes.
Do not overcook.
- 3Sprinkle with flour and stir to coat the onions and mushrooms in the pan, adding a little more butter or flour if necessary.
- 4Stir in the beef stock, salt, pepper and a pinch of basil.
- 5Add the red wine and reduce heat and simmer, continuing to stir the soup occasionally until it thickens.
- 6Cool and refrigerate for 24 hours for flavor to develop. Before serving, gently rewarm but don’t let boil. Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with nutmeg. Savor every spoonful.