Casey's French Onion Soup
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
4 cmix of sweet and yellow onions
4 cbeef broth
4 slicedried or toasted french bread
4 slicesmokey provolone or mozzarella cheese
·salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Casey's French Onion Soup
- Slice the onions thinly, the thinner the better.
- Melt butter in a large pot, add onions.
- Cook onions slowly over low heat, stirring often for 45 min. to an hour. The onions should be golden brown, and well caramelized and this takes time, don't hurry.
- Stir in the sugar and flour, and cook for 3 - 4 min. You want to get rid of the flour taste
- Add the beef broth ( I use the au jus base from GFS but any beef broth will do.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- This step is optional. I put soup into a 2 qt. crockpot (unless I double recipe then I use a 4 qt.) and let simmer on low for 3 - 4 hrs.
- Ladle out soup into bowls and then top with cheese. I use torch and melt the cheese but you can also place under broiler but keep a watch on it or cheese melts to fast.
- Soup can also be served without bread or cheese. Just as Casey likes it.