Nigerian Yam and Fish Pepperpot Soup
Any firm fish will work for this recipe.
Taste for salt before adding additional salt,as the bouillon and dried shrimp is salty to me.
- 150 grams yam(substitute sweet potatoes)
- 500 grams fresh fish steaks(use catfish,whiting or tilipia
- 1 t. ground crayfish or dried shrimp
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1/2 chopped scotch bonnet pepper
- **1 t.-1 t. pepper mix
- 1 t. chopped basil leaves
- 1 seasoning stock or bouillon cube
- salt to taste
- 1 t. each: black pepper,crushed red pepper,cayenne and white pepper.
How to Make Nigerian Yam and Fish Pepperpot Soup
- 1Slice the yams, peel the skin ,cut into cubes and wash thoroughly.
Place the yams into a pot, add enough water to cover the yams, add a level teaspoon of salt and leave to boil for about 10 to 15 minutes. Then strain out the water and set aside.
Now wash the fish, then place in another pot, add water to almost the level of the fish. Add diced onions, seasoning cube and salt to taste.
Leave to boil for about 5 minutes . Be careful not to overcook the fish
* After 5 minutes, add the precooked yams,chopped peppers, ground crayfish,pepper spice and the chopped basil leaves.
Leave to simmer for 5 more minutes.