Long Grain & Wild Rice Soup
1 (14 oz.)can reduce sodium chicken broth
2 (4.2 oz)boxes rice-a-roni long grain & wild rice
6 slicesbacon (l used thin sliced bacon)
3/4 cupthinly sliced celery
1/2 cupchopped onion
1(10-3/4 oz.) can campbell's cream of mushroom soup
2(10-3/4 oz.) cans campbell's cream of potato soup
2 cupshalf-and-half cream (*see note)
10 sliceskraft american cheese, torn into small pieces
How to Make Long Grain & Wild Rice Soup
- In a saucepan, (I used a 3-quart saucepan) add the water, broth, rice, and the seasoning packets that come with the boxed rice-a-roni. Bring contents in pan to a boil, cover, then reduce heat to a low simmer, and simmer for 22-23 minutes. I did stir the rice a couple times while it was cooking, just to be sure the rice wasn't sticking to the pan.
- Once the rice is done cooking, remove pan from heat, and set it aside while you finish preparing the soup.
- While the rice is simmering, cook the bacon in a skillet until the bacon is crisp. Remove bacon from skillet, and set it aside on paper toweling.
- To the skillet, along with the bacon drippings, add and sauté the celery and onion for a few minutes. When the onion has softened, remove from skillet, and set this aside. The onion will be softened, but the celery will be slightly crisp.
- In a large soup pot or kettle, (over medium-low heat) add the canned soups. Gradually add the half-and-half, and keep stirring, to mix soup and cream thoroughly together. Don't let the soup come to a boil.
- Once the soup and cream are thoroughly mixed together, and the soup is hot, gradually add the slices of cheese, and stirring the soup between adding the slices.
- Once the cheese is completely blended into the soup, I then add the cooked rice, plus the celery and onion.
- Crumble the cooked bacon, and add it to the soup.
- Heat the soup thoroughly, but do not let it come to a boil.
- Ladle soup into bowls, and sprinkle with a bit of black pepper. Do not add any salt to the soup, as the bacon and cheese slices add enough salt!
- *Note: I did substitute 1-cup heavy cream, plus 1-cup 2% milk, for the 2 cups of half-and-half cream.