Long Grain & Wild Rice Soup
- 3 cups
- 1 (14 oz.)
- can reduce sodium chicken broth
- 2 (4.2 oz)
- boxes rice-a-roni long grain & wild rice
- 6 slices
- bacon (l used thin sliced bacon)
- 3/4 cup
- thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup
- chopped onion
- (10-3/4 oz.) can campbell's cream of mushroom soup
- (10-3/4 oz.) cans campbell's cream of potato soup
- 2 cups
- half-and-half cream (*see note)
- 10 slices
- kraft american cheese, torn into small pieces
How to Make Long Grain & Wild Rice Soup
- 1In a saucepan, (I used a 3-quart saucepan) add the water, broth, rice, and the seasoning packets that come with the boxed rice-a-roni. Bring contents in pan to a boil, cover, then reduce heat to a low simmer, and simmer for 22-23 minutes. I did stir the rice a couple times while it was cooking, just to be sure the rice wasn't sticking to the pan.
- 2Once the rice is done cooking, remove pan from heat, and set it aside while you finish preparing the soup.
- 3While the rice is simmering, cook the bacon in a skillet until the bacon is crisp. Remove bacon from skillet, and set it aside on paper toweling.
- 4To the skillet, along with the bacon drippings, add and sauté the celery and onion for a few minutes. When the onion has softened, remove from skillet, and set this aside. The onion will be softened, but the celery will be slightly crisp.
- 5In a large soup pot or kettle, (over medium-low heat) add the canned soups. Gradually add the half-and-half, and keep stirring, to mix soup and cream thoroughly together. Don't let the soup come to a boil.
- 6Once the soup and cream are thoroughly mixed together, and the soup is hot, gradually add the slices of cheese, and stirring the soup between adding the slices.
- 7Once the cheese is completely blended into the soup, I then add the cooked rice, plus the celery and onion.
- 8Crumble the cooked bacon, and add it to the soup.
- 9Heat the soup thoroughly, but do not let it come to a boil.
- 10Ladle soup into bowls, and sprinkle with a bit of black pepper. Do not add any salt to the soup, as the bacon and cheese slices add enough salt!
- 11*Note: I did substitute 1-cup heavy cream, plus 1-cup 2% milk, for the 2 cups of half-and-half cream.