Creamy Broccoli-Cheese Soup
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- ¼ cup (1/2 stick) butter
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 cups of baby broccoli florets
- 2 cups freshly shredded cheese (mild cheddar or sharp cheddar
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (more or less)
- shredded cheese for garnish
How to Make Creamy Broccoli-Cheese Soup
- 1Melt the butter in a stock pot over medium heat, and then add the onions. Cook the onions for 2 to 3 minutes, and then sprinkle the flour over the top. Stir to combine.
- 2Pour and whisk in the milk and half-and-half. Add in the broccoli, salt, and black pepper. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 3After 10 minutes, transfer soup to a blender and puree completely.
- 4Return the puree to the cooking pot, and stir in the freshly shredded cheese. Stir until cheese is melted and the soup is smooth and creamy and heated through. (Taste test to see if more salt and pepper is needed. You can also add some spice at this time if you like spice in your soup).
Note: Use any cheese or combination of cheeses you like. I use a combo of sharp and med. cheddar. Freshly shredded Cheddar cheeses melt much better than bagged cheese.
- 5Serve immediately in either bread bowls, or soup bowls. Garnish with shredded cheese.