NEW ENGLAND STYLE CLAM CHOWDER
1/2 cbacon, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
2 Tbspbutter, divided
1 mediumonion, chopped
2 ccanned clams, strained & liquid reservered
4 mediumpotatoes, peeled & chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
1 1/2 tspsalt
1 tspblack pepper
2 cheavy cream
How to Make NEW ENGLAND STYLE CLAM CHOWDER
- In large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain grease. Return pan to stove top with bacon and turn heat to low.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter and onion. Saute until onions are soft but NOT brown. Add in flour and mix well and cook an additional two minutes.
- Whisk in clam juice and water. Whisk until well combined and lump-free; take your time.
- When well combined, add the potatoes, salt and pepper. Increase heat to medium and bring to simmer. Let simmer, uncovered until potatoes are tender. Turn heat to low again.
- Add heavy cream, clams and the last 1 tablespoon of butter. Cook slowly until thoroughly heated. DO NOT BOIL