- 3 Tbsp
- 1 large
- onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium
- carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 large
- potatoes, cut up & cubed
- 2 can(s)
- (14.5 oz.) chicken broth
- 2 c
- half & half
- 1/3 c
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- 1 pkg
- (12 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pkg
- (6) fresh bratwurst (not smoked)
How to Make Cheddar-Bratwurst Soup
- 1Grill brats over hot coals until done or bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Slice into bite-size pieces and set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven or large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add onions, potatoes and carrots. Saute over for 10-15 minutes or until onions start to caramelize.
- 3Pour chicken broth into pot. Bring just to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are just cooked.
- 4Pour half & half into an air tight container. Add flour. Seal and shake until thoroughly blended. Pour into broth. Stir gently until heated through and starting to thicken. Gradually, stir in the cheddar cheese; reduce heat to low. Cook stirring frequently until cheese melts completely. Add the bratwurst to the pot. Remove from heat.
- 5Ladle into soup bowls and top with chopped fresh parsley, green onion, oyster crackers and/or more shredded cheddar if desired.