☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
·1 pound of navy beans
·3-4 cups of chicken broth, lightly salted or unsalted
·½ pound of bacon, thick sliced
·1 clove of garlic, minced
·1 small onion, sliced
·½ cup molasses, plain unsulfured molasses(do not use black strap)
·2 tablespoons of brown sugar
·½ teaspoon of dry mustard
·1/8 teaspoon of pepper
·½ teaspoon salt, optional
How to Make Baked Beans
- Add the beans to a large bowl and cover with cold water and swoosh them around a few times with your hand to clean them. Drain the beans into a colander; discarding the dirty bean water.
- Repeat rinsing the beans 2 or 3 times until water is clear and clean.
- Add beans back to the large bowl and cover with water. Cover the bowl of beans with a lid or a large plate; set in the refrigerator overnight. (Make sure bowl is filled with water because the beans will absorb a bit while soaking overnight).
- Next morning, drain the beans in a colander and rinse one more time.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a 3 quart bean pot or a deep casserole dish, add 3 slices of bacon to the bottom.
- Add half the beans on top of bacon.
- On top of the beans, add a few more slices of bacon and the sliced onion.
- Add the rest of the beans to the dish and then add the last slices of bacon on top.
- In a measuring cup or small bowl, add ½ cup of chicken broth, molasses, garlic, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Stir to combine; pour over beans.
- Last, cover beans with 2½-3 cups of chicken broth, making sure all the beans are covered.
- Cover bean dish with a lid or foil and bake the beans at 300 degrees for 6-8 hours or until beans are dark golden brown in color, and tender. Do not stir the beans! It will make them mushy.
- After about 2-3 hours of baking, check to see if beans need more broth. If the beans are not covered in liquid, add a little more broth (or water) at this time. (It usually needs a little more).
After 6-8 hours of baking, you will have the most delicious baked beans ever!
- Serve with kielbasa, hamburgers, hot dogs, steaks, just about anything! Don’t forget the cornbread. Beans and hot buttered cornbread is a must! :)