Hearty Crock Pot Chili / Cassies
This recipe filled my 6 quart crock pot...if you don't have this size of pot, you could easily halve the recipe...
Pictures are mine.
- 2 - 2 1/2 lb
- ground beef
- salt and pepper to season ground beef
- 1 - 16 oz
- dry pinto beans ( could use favorite canned beans) - adjust cooking time
- 6 - 8 clove
- garlic - minced
- 1 1/2 - 2 c
- onion, chopped
- 1 large
- red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalk(s)
- celery, chopped ( optional )
- 1 heaping Tbsp
- each - chili powder and cumin ( optional ) we like lots of spice
- 1 - 1.25 oz
- package chili seasoning mix ( i used hot )
- 1 tsp
- each - garlic and onion powder
- 1/4 tsp
- ground cinnamon ( optional )
- bay leaves
- 1 small
- 10 ounce can, beef broth
- 1 - 12 oz
- tomato paste
- 1 large
- can sliced mushrooms - drained or use fresh
- 1 - 28 oz
- diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 - 2
- dried habanero pepper - crushed ( optional )
- 4 - 5 c
- 100% tomato juice - more if need to thin out
- 2 Tbsp
- brown sugar
How to Make Hearty Crock Pot Chili / Cassies
- 1Sort and pick through beans to remove any debris.
First thing I do; and this is totally optional - make patties out of ground beef. Season with salt and pepper. Brown in skillet over medium - high heat, until cooked through ( reason for making patties, is I like my chili meat chunkier ) by all means brown it as you wish. When finished I remove from pan to cool. Then chop into chunks.
- 2In 6 - 7 quart crock pot, add the beans...a little water ( about 1/2 cup ) turn pot to high...place the lid on the pot and begin preparing vegetables.
- 3Once veggies are chopped, and burger is cooked and chopped; add all remaining ingredients ( except for the brown sugar ) to the pot.
I then stir lightly just to combine. Place the lid back on the pot and cook for 6 hours. If not using dry beans...adjust cooking time. May not need as much liquid. Directions I am giving are for use of dried beans.
After about 3 hours into cooking, stir and add more juice or water if needed.