Grandma's Extra-Special Chicken Soup
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1bunch of carrots, thinly sliced
1/2bunch of celery hearts, thinly sliced (optional)
3cans tomato paste (6 oz. size)
3cans cream of mushroop soup (10.5 oz. size)
2tsp. ground allspice
3cups half & half
1container low-sodium chicken broth (32 oz. size)
1package egg noodles
How to Make Grandma's Extra-Special Chicken Soup
- Cook egg noodles and put in refrigerator to cool.
- Cut up RAW vegetables into small pieces.
- Clean chicken and put in a very large pot with lid (at least 20 quarts) along with RAW vegetables only. Add water to pot until chicken is covered with at least 2 inches of water. Bring to boil, cover and then simmer for 1 hour, skimming occasionally. Remove chicken and set aside to cool. When cooled, tear chicken apart into bite-size pieces.
- In a separate large pot (at least 5 quarts), combine cream of mushroom soup, tomato paste, chicken broth, ground allspice, vinegar and half & half, mixing thoroughly with a wire whisk. Bring to a light boil, stirring frequently until completely hot.
- Add mixture to the very large HOT pot of soup broth (if the mixture and broth are not both hot, the half & half will curdle). Add torn up chicken pieces and any CANNED vegetables, and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour, skimming occasionally. Serve with noodles. NOTE: DO NOT add noodles to the pot of soup as they will absorb the liquid.
- Once cooled, the soup can be put into containers and frozen for future use. This recipe makes a lot of soup -- I usually freeze two containers full after we have eaten our fill.