Chicken Tortilla Soup
This soup was our favorite and so I searched and searched until I found it. It to us is almost exactly like what they had. I hope you enjoy it also!!
- 1/4 c
- butter or margarine
- 1/4 c
- all-purpose flour
- 3 c
- chicken broth
- 1 c
- 8 oz
- velvetta process cheese food-cubed
- 10 oz
- can ro*tel tomatoes and chilies
- 2 c
- cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- flour tortillas-as needed, about 4-6
- shredded colby jack cheese or mexican blend cheese- as needed
How to Make Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1In a pot, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes.
- 2Slowly whisk in small amounts of chicken broth at a time, then whisk in milk.
- 3Reduce heat to low and stir in Velveeta cubes; stir until melted.
- 4Stir in ro*tel, chicken, and spices.
- 5Once soup is heated through, it is ready to serve at this point. However, if you wish to make tortilla strips, it can sit over low heat while they are made. Stir the soup occasionally.
- 6For tortilla strips, cut tortillas into strips and deep fry in 350 degree vegetable oil until golden, then drain on paper towels.
- 7Spoon a ladleful of soup into a bowl, add a handful of shredded cheese, then spoon another ladleful of soup over the cheese. Sprinkle tortilla strips over the top.