Chicken Tortilla Soup
This soup was our favorite and so I searched and searched until I found it. It to us is almost exactly like what they had. I hope you enjoy it also!!
1/4 cbutter or margarine
1/4 call-purpose flour
3 cchicken broth
8 ozvelvetta process cheese food-cubed
10 ozcan ro*tel tomatoes and chilies
2 ccooked, shredded chicken
1 1/2 tspcumin
1 1/2 Tbspchili powder
·salt and pepper to taste
·flour tortillas-as needed, about 4-6
·shredded colby jack cheese or mexican blend cheese- as needed
How to Make Chicken Tortilla Soup
- In a pot, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in small amounts of chicken broth at a time, then whisk in milk.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in Velveeta cubes; stir until melted.
- Stir in ro*tel, chicken, and spices.
- Once soup is heated through, it is ready to serve at this point. However, if you wish to make tortilla strips, it can sit over low heat while they are made. Stir the soup occasionally.
- For tortilla strips, cut tortillas into strips and deep fry in 350 degree vegetable oil until golden, then drain on paper towels.
- Spoon a ladleful of soup into a bowl, add a handful of shredded cheese, then spoon another ladleful of soup over the cheese. Sprinkle tortilla strips over the top.