CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
- 2-3 qt
- homemade chicken broth/stock (commercially canned will work, but not as tasty)
- 1 large
- sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 medium
- carrots, sliced approximately 1/4" thick
- 2 stalk(s)
- celery, sliced or coarse chopped
- 1 clove
- fresh garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp
- chopped fresh thyme
- bay leaves, fresh or dry
- 1 Tbsp
- chopped fresh flat leaf italian parsley
- 1/8 tsp
- fresh ground black pepper (more or less, to taste)
- 1 pinch
- dried sage
- 1 dash(es)
- hot sauce (optional)
- 1 pinch
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 pinch
- turmeric, ground
- 1/2 tsp
- sea salt (more or less, to taste)
- 8-10 oz
- wide noodles, uncooked (or your favorite)
- 2-3 c
- cooked chicken, shredded and roughly chopped
- extra parsley or chives for garnish (optional)
How to Make CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
- 1Add all ingredients, except noodles, chicken and garnish, to a large stockpot or dutch oven and bring to boil. (For slow cooker see NOTE.)
- 2Lower heat to low-boil or simmer and cook until carrots are tender.
- 3Remove and discard bay leaves.
- 4Add extra broth or water, if needed, return to full boil and add noodles.
- 5After it, again, comes to a boil, lower heat to medium and cook for 9 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 6Add chicken and simmer 2 minutes or so; taste and add extra seasoning, if needed.
- 7Serve garnished with fresh parsley or chives, if desired. Refrigerate or freeze leftovers.
- 8NOTE: To make in a slow cooker, add all ingredients except noodles, cooked chicken and garnish. Cook on low setting for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. Cook noodles according to package instructions, drain noodles and then add to slow cooker. Add chicken, cover cooker and allow chicken to heat thoroughly (about 10-15 minutes) before serving. Good add-ins include mushrooms, squash, peas, white beans, kale etc...