Avgolemono - Greek Lemon & Rice Chicken Soup
The first time I had this soup was on my honeymoon. It was delicious and my husband and I were soon craving it. I have searched and cobbled together this great, easy, and quick recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! Also I found a way to
*Easily temper the eggs!*
How to Make Avgolemono - Greek Lemon & Rice Chicken Soup
- 1To add depth to the store bought chicken broth I add the drippings from the bottom of the rotisserie chicken. The stuff that turns to jelly when refrigerated is the good stuff! I also break a few bones to get the most flavor out in the quickest amount of time. Bring the broth with the rotisserie extras to a boil.
- 2In a food processor add the two eggs and the juice of your lemons. Blend.
* I don't have a juicer so I squeeze my lemons through a small strainer to catch the seeds.
- 3Now for the "difficult" part. Made easy with your food processor. Slowly add spoonfuls of the broth while blending the egg mixture until the eggs are the same temperature as the broth.
- 4Now slowly stir the heated up egg mixture back into the main pot of broth. Add salt and pepper to taste. (Optional - add shredded chicken from rotisserie)
- 5Place rice in bowls and ladle soup over rice. Add more lemon or pepper to personal taste.
I keep the rice separate because if their are leftovers the rice can get weird if left in the soup overnight.