Deluxe Vegetable Beef Soup
3-4 lbbeef chuck roast
3 Tbspbacon grease
2 can(s)beef broth
2 Tbspchicken base
1 can(s)diced tomatoes
2 largepotatoes, diced
4 stalk(s)celery, sliced
1 largeonion, diced
1 largefamily size bag mixed frozen vegetables
1 tspgarlic, minced
1/2 cred wine
1/2 tspof each, white pepper, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder
How to Make Deluxe Vegetable Beef Soup
- Prep ingredients and measure everything first.
- Sear the chuck roast in bacon grease in a large dutch oven.
- Pour off the grease after searing, leaving the roast in the dutch oven.
- Add the beef broth, chicken base, tomatoes, onions, garlic, wine and all the spices.
- Turn your heat medium-low and let everything simmer for at least 3 hours or longer, depending how tender the roast is.
- When the roast starts getting tender, you can take a slotted spoon and take out pieces of meat and pick off the fat pieces that's still attached to the roast and put the meat back into the pot. (I've used leaner cuts of beef roasts, but it's the marbling in a chuck roast that makes this soup wonderful)
- Add the rest of the chopped and frozen vegetables and the 8 cups of water. Turning up the heat to start another good simmer.
- During the cooking phase of the vegetables, start taste testing for desired seasonings. I usually add additional salt, pepper, and garlic, a little at a time at this point, if needed.
- This soup gets better overnight. After refrigeration the next day, the fat rises to the top. Take a spoon and skim the grease and discard.
- Note: This is a thick, hearty, soup, so it needs a lot of seasonings. After everything is in the pot, then begin to add additional seasoning and spice, a little at a time to your liking. Enjoy!