SOUTHERN RAILWAY BEAN SOUP (SALLYE)
1 lbdried navy beans
2 can(s)(16 oz each) petite diced tomatoes
1 mediumwhite onion
1 mediumbay leaf
2chicken bouillon cubes
1 to 2 lbvenison or pork sausage
1 Tbspground black pepper
How to Make SOUTHERN RAILWAY BEAN SOUP (SALLYE)
- Soak beans overnight (optional) in heavy stockpot.
Drain beans and pour back into stockpot. Add enough water to cover about 4 to 5 inches above beans.
Place pot on medium high heat until boiling.
- Peel and chop the onion.
Chop the celery
- When boiling, add tomatoes, onions, celery, marjoram, bay leaf and crumbled bouillon cubes into beans.
Turn heat to low so liquid will simmer.
- Simmer covered for 2 hours or until beans are tender. Check occasionally and add liquid if necessary.
Remove bay leaf and ham bone. Strip meat from bone and add back to beans.
- Peel and cube potatoes into bite-sized pieces.
- Skim fat and add crumbled sausage, cubed potatoes, salt and pepper.
Cover and simmer another hour.
- Can be served as a soup or a main dish.