Pinto Bean Stew
Dried beans need to be soaked befor they are cooked.
The best way to soak dried beans is to cover them in cold water and bring to a gentle boil, turn off heat and allow beans to soak in water for 1 or 2 hours. *DO NOT add salt to the soaking water.
Drain water and rinse with fresh water.
To cook beans, cover soaked beans with fresh water and simmer for 1 to 2 hours. Do not let the beans dry out, beans should always be covered with water.
- 1 1/2 c
- chopped onion
- green (or red) bell pepper, chopped
- carrots, chopped
- 1 medium
- potato, cubed
- 1 stalk(s)
- celery, chopped
- 4 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp
- chili powder
- 1 can(s)
- (6 oz) tomato paste
- 1 can(s)
- (14.5 oz) chicken broth
- 2 c
- cooked pinto beans
- 1 small
- smoked ham hock
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Pinto Bean Stew
- 1Add 1/2 cup water to a medium pot. Cook the onion, green (or red) pepper, carrots, potatoes, celery and garlic in the water for 5 minutes over medium heat or until soft.
- 2Stir in the chili powder, tomato paste, chicken broth, smoked ham hock and pinto beans.
- 3Cook for 20 minutes. Add a little water if the beans start to stick to the bottom of the pot.
- 4Serve over hot cooked rice
Refrigerate left overs
One pound of dried beans (2 cups) equals 5 to 6 cups cooked beans.
Beans are an inexpensive source of protein and fiber.
Dried beans can be kept in an air tight container for a year.
Remember to rinse all fruits and vegetables