Navy Bean N Ham Soup
- 2 c
- dry navy beans
- 2 1/2 c
- 2 1/2 c
- chicken stock or broth
- 1 1/2 lb
- ham butt, or large ham bone
- 1 c
- chopped celery with leaves
- onion, chopped
- carrots, chopped
- bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp
- italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp
- black pepper
- 1 tsp
- chicken or ham, better than buillon soup base - or 1 buillon cube - for more flavor - optional
- to taste at the end of cooking
How to Make Navy Bean N Ham Soup
- 1Rinse beans, picking out any bad ones. Cover with water so there is a couple of inches of water over the top of the beans; soak overnight.
Drain and add 2 1/2 cups chicken stock and 2 1/2 cups water (enough to cover beans) in a large soup pot.
Bring to quick boil over high heat. Reduce heat and add remaining ingredients ( except for salt ). If soup bone is not mostly covered with water & broth add a little more of either.
- 2Bring to quick boil over high heat. Reduce heat and add remaining ingredients ( except for salt ). If soup bone is not mostly covered with water & broth add a little more of either.
Bring soup back to a boil and then reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 2 1/2 hours, until beans are very tender.
- 3When beans are tender, remove the soup bone and cut off any meat and add back into the soup. If you have additional leftover ham, some can be added to the soup to provide a little more meat to the soup if desired.
If mixture appears too thick, add a little boiling water or I add chicken stock... Now, is a good time to taste and add salt to your liking.
- 4Crock pot method:
Use basically the same directions only after bringing the beans to a quick boil, pour them and the water & broth into the slow cooker. Add all the remaining ingredients, cover and turn slow cooker on low. Cook for 10 hours or until beans are tender. To speed cooking time you can cook on high for the first hour and then turn down to low and cook for 7 hours