Smoked Ham Split Pea Soup
16 ozdried split peas
1left-over bone in smoked ham
·salt to taste
·black pepper to taste
1 tspcrushed red pepper
4 clow sodium chicken stock (preferably homemade)
·water as needed
1 largeonion chopped
4 largecarrots chooped
3celery stalks sliced
2 Tbspvegetable oil
4 clovewhole garlic
How to Make Smoked Ham Split Pea Soup
- Add two table spoons veggie oil to a large heated dutch over pot.
- Place the left-over smoked ham on the bone in the heated pan and brown on all sides.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, red pepper, and garlic. Cook for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add all chicken stock. Add anough water so that ham (bone) is completely covered with liquid. Then cover & simmer for 2-3 hours or until the meat is falling off that bone.
- Remove all the meat from the bone and remove the bone from the soup. Add in the package of dried split peas.
- Cook uncovered until the peas are tender and the soup thickens.
- Taste and check for salt & pepper.
- Serve with crusty bread.
- NOTE: make this dish if you're single. Whoever you serve this to will marry you in no time.