Smoked Ham Split Pea Soup
- 16 oz
- dried split peas
- left-over bone in smoked ham
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp
- crushed red pepper
- 4 c
- low sodium chicken stock (preferably homemade)
- water as needed
- 1 large
- onion chopped
- 4 large
- carrots chooped
- celery stalks sliced
- 2 Tbsp
- vegetable oil
- 4 clove
- whole garlic
How to Make Smoked Ham Split Pea Soup
- 1Add two table spoons veggie oil to a large heated dutch over pot.
- 2Place the left-over smoked ham on the bone in the heated pan and brown on all sides.
- 3Add the onions, carrots, celery, red pepper, and garlic. Cook for about 4-5 minutes.
- 4Add all chicken stock. Add anough water so that ham (bone) is completely covered with liquid. Then cover & simmer for 2-3 hours or until the meat is falling off that bone.
- 5Remove all the meat from the bone and remove the bone from the soup. Add in the package of dried split peas.
- 6Cook uncovered until the peas are tender and the soup thickens.
- 7Taste and check for salt & pepper.
- 8Serve with crusty bread.
- 9NOTE: make this dish if you're single. Whoever you serve this to will marry you in no time.