Hawaiian "portagee" Bean Soup
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
From Soup Of The Evening...Beautiful Soup.
12 ozportuguese sausage, 1/4-inch slices (or use another garlicky sausage)
1 largeonion, coarsely chopped
2 largecarrots, coarsely chopped
4 cchicken stock
1/2 lbtomatoes, peeled and diced
1 Tbsptomato paste
2ham shanks (smoked pork hocks)
3potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 tsppaprika, or to taste
·chili oil or cayenne, to taste
·salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 15-ounce can(s)dark red kidney beans
How to Make Hawaiian "portagee" Bean Soup
- In a Dutch oven, saute the sausage slices with the onions and carrots over medium heat until the onion is soft, stirring from time to time.
- Add the remaining ingredients - except for the beans - and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours.
- Fifteen minutes before serving, remove the hocks and pick off the meat, discarding the fat and bones.
- Mince the meat and return to the pot with the beans, juice and all.
- Let simmer for a few minutes, then ladle up into bowls and dig in.
- ai a ma'ona. Da best!