Cuban Black Bean Soup
·black beans, soaked overnight
1 1/2 cspanish olive oil
4 largered bell peppers, chopped
4 largewhite onions, chopped
16 clovegarlic, chopped
4 Tbspmexican dried oregano
2 Tbspground cumin
1/2 cdry sherry
2 mediumred onion, finely diced
1 ccilantro leaves
1 ptmexican crema or sour cream
How to Make Cuban Black Bean Soup
- Soak beans in water to cover by 3 inches for 8 hours or overnight. Overnight is best.
- Drain and place in a large soup pot along with bay leaves and enough fresh water to cover beans by 2 or 3 inches.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until beans are tender, about 2 hours
- Meanwhile, make the sofrito: In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add bell peppers and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add onions and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, oregano, cumin, and salt to taste, and cook 2 minutes.
- Puree sofrito in a blender (in batches).
- Add sofrito and sugar to pot with beans and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in sherry and season with salt to taste. Remove bay leaves.
- Serve topped with red onion, cilantro, and a dollop of Mexican crema or sour cream.