Breakfast Sausage and White Bean Soup
Diane Hopson Smith
What started out as an Italian Sausage & White Bean Soup ended up as this. I "thought" I had Italian Sausage in the freezer but I didn't. I had plenty of bulk breakfast sausage and I still wanted soup. It turned out satifying and very tasty.
Hope you enjoy!
- 1 lb
- package dried navy beans
- 1 lb
- bulk sausage (you favorite breakfast or italian sausage) i used a hot sausage
- 1 dash(es)
- onion, chopped
- 4 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1 or 2 large
- carrots, chopped
- 1 tsp
- oregano, dried
- 1/4 small
- cabbage, chopped (you can use more if desired)
- 4 c
- chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
How to Make Breakfast Sausage and White Bean Soup
- 1Soak beans using directions on package.
This is what I did: rinse beans, place in a 6 qt dutch oven and cover with 6 cups of water. Add salt. Over a medium heat bring to a boil, boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let them soak for 1 hour; drain.
In skillet, brown sausage and onion; drian off excess grease.
- 3Add beans, sausage, carrots, oregano and garlic to 6 qt dutch oven; cover with 4 cups chicken broth. Bring to boil over medium heat. Cover and reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Check periodically and add a little water if necesary. Taste test and add salt and pepper to taste if desired.
- 4Add tomatoes and chopped cabbage the last 15 to 20 minutes.
- 5NOTE: Because I used salt in the soak and the sausage I used was salty, I only added a small amount of salt in the soup. Taste test and add seasonings to your taste.