Tomato Soup with Basil1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
3 lbplum tomatoes
5 Tbspolive oil
1red bell pepper, diced
2garlic cloves, minced
2 lbtomato paste
1/4 tspthyme, dried and crushed
1 dash(es)hot pepper sauce
1 smallfennel bulb, trimmed and diced
1 smallzucchini, diced
1 smallgreen bell pepper, diced
4 largemushrooms, diced
4basil leaves, fresh
1celery ribs, diced
How to Make Tomato Soup with Basil
- Blanch tomatoes in large pot of boiling water for 1 minute; drain.
- Rinse under cold water to cool and drain.
- Using small sharp knife, peel off skin; cut tomatoes into quarters and remove seeds.
- Puree tomatoes in blender or processor.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat; add bell pepper and saute until almost tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and tomato paste; cook 2 minutes.
- Mix in tomato puree, thyme and hot pepper sauce; remove from heat.
- Cover and let stand at room temperature 2 hours.
- Heat remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat; add fennel, zucchini, green bell pepper, mushrooms and celery.
- Saute until crisp-tender, about 8 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Bring soup to boil; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls; top with vegetable mixture.
- Garnish with basil and serve.