Tasty Potato Crockpot Soup
I like to serve the soup with Cornbread and Whipped Honey Butter that melts in your mouth (I posted it on this site.).
The weather is getting nippy -soup is so good on the chilly and cold days!!
5russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 mediumonion, chopped
4 clovegarlic, minced
1 largecarrot, chopped
4 can(s)(14-ounce) –or 2 (32-ounce) cartons of chicken or vegetable broth (i sometimes use a combination of both).
1/4 tspblack pepper
1 can(s)(12 oz) evaporated milk
8 oz(1 cup) container sour cream
1 tspdried oregano leaves
2 Tbspchives, snipped
1/8 - 1/4 tspcelery salt (can leave out the salt above, and use 1-1/4 t. celery salt, instead)
How to Make Tasty Potato Crockpot Soup
- Combine cubed potatoes, chopped onions and carrot, garlic, broth, salt, and pepper in a 5 quart crockpot. Cover and cook on low heat until potatoes are tender, 6-8 hours or you can cook on high for 4 hours.
- When potatoes are tender, coarsely mash with large spoon or potato masher.
- Add evaporated milk to crockpot, stir well, and cook on high for about 20 minutes to thicken.
- Place sour cream in small bowl and mix with some of the hot soup liquid; stir well with wire whisk to blend to keep it from being lumpy when you put in crockpot with the soup. Gently stir into crockpot along with remaining ingredients (celery salt, oregano and snipped chives) and cook on high for 20 minutes longer.
- *May want to serve cheese and bacon on top.
- NOTES: Potatoes have a lot of starch and will thicken the soup without adding flour;
• However, if it needs to be thickened; take out 1/2 - 1 cup of the soup liquid and blend in 1 tablespoon of flour; mix well and add back to the soup in the crockpot; if it needs to be thicker (which I doubt), you can put in another tablespoon flour.
• Also, my soup sometimes gets too thick. Once when I made it, it resembled mashed potatoes –yummy mashed potatoes, but I wanted soup :o). I don’t thicken it until it is done and I see if it is the consistency that I like.
•If it is too thick; you can add more milk and/or broth.