Sweet Potato Soup with Buttered Pecans1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
3/4 cfinely chopped onion
1 cfinely chopped leek, washed well and drained
2 largegarlic cloves, minced
3 largecarrots, thinly sliced
3 Tbspunsalted butter
2 lbsweet potatoes
1russet baking potato
5 cchicken broth plus additional for thinning the soup
3/4 cdry white wine
3/4 cchopped pecans
2 Tbspunsalted butter
·creme fraiche or sour cream
·salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Sweet Potato Soup with Buttered Pecans
- In a kettle cook the onion, the leek, the garlic, and the carrots with the bay leaf in the butter over moderate heat, until the vegetables are softened.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the sweet potatoes, peeled, halved lengthwise, and sliced thin, the russet potato, peeled, halved lengthwise, and sliced thin, the 5 cups broth, the wine, and the water.
- Simmer the mixture, covered for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are very tender.
- Discard the bay leaf.
- In a blender puree the mixture in batches until it is very smooth, transferring it as it is pureed to a large saucepan.
- Add the additional broth to thin the soup to the desired consistency, and season the soup with salt and pepper.
- The soup may be made 1 day in advance, kept covered and chilled, and reheated.
- In a skillet cook the pecans in the butter with salt to taste over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
- Transfer them to paper towels to drain.
- The pecans may be made 2 days in advance and kept in an airtight container or a resealable plastic bag.
- Divide the soup among bowls and top each serving with a dollop of the creme fraiche and some of the buttered pecans.