Strawberry Cream Soup
2 ptfresh strawberries
·reserve 6 small strawberries for garnish
15 ozfat-free sour cream
1 tspvanilla extract
1/4 tspalmond extract
1/3 cconfectioners' sugar
1/2 chalf and half
6 slicepound cake, sliced about 3/8" thick
1/2 csemi-sweet chocolate chips, melted for dipping wafers
How to Make Strawberry Cream Soup
- Slice strawberries and mix with sour cream.
- Process briefly with food processor or blender.
- Add vanilla & almond extracts, and confectioners' sugar; process until smooth.
- Pour into bowl and add half and half, stirring until well blended. Chill thoroughly.
- To make croutons while soup is chilling: Cut pound cake into small, thin cubes. Toast in the oven under the broiler until lightly brown. Watch them closely, so they don't burn! Cool completely.
- Also while soup is chilling, dip milk wafers into melted semi-sweet chocolate, covering only 1/2 the wafer. You will have to use a spoon or a spreader to get the chocolate half-way up the wafer, since you are only melting a half-cup, and it won't be very deep in your double boiler. After applying, let them 'set' on waxed paper.
- Using your 6 reserved small strawberries, make a strawberry "fan" for a garnish for each bowl: slice strawberry into several very thin slices, but don't cut all the way thru the leaves (a good egg slicer is great for this, just don't push the strawberry all the way thru the wires). Leave the leaves and the hull of the strawberry intact.
- Distribute soup evenly between six small bowls. Sprinkle croutons on top of soup, and lay a strawberry fan on top of croutons. Serve chocolate-covered milk wafers on the side.
This makes a lovely summer "light" dessert soup.