★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 8 c
- 2 1/2 c
- dried split peas
- 1 medium
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 large
- carrots chopped
- 2 stick
- or stalks of celery finely chopped
- 1 lb
- boneless smoked ham (optional)
How to Make Split Pea Soup
- 1Heat water and peas to boiling.
- 2Boil for 2 minutes, then remove from heat and cover.
- 3Let sit for 1 hour.
- 4Add ham (whole), onion, salt and pepper.
- 5Cover and simmer until peas are tender, about 1 hour.
- 6Remove ham and cut ham to 1/2 inch pieces.
- 7Stir ham, carrots, and celery into soup.
- 8Cover and simmer until veggies are tender, about 45 minutes.