Southwestern Corn and Potato Soup1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
1 conions, finely chopped
2garlic cloves, minced
1 smallchili pepper, seeded and chopped
3 cvegetable broth
2 tspcumin, ground
1 mediumsweet potato, diced
1 smallred bell pepper, finely chopped
3 ccorn, fresh or frozen
·cilantro, fresh and chopped
How to Make Southwestern Corn and Potato Soup
- In covered soup pot, simmer onions, garlic, pepper and salt in 1 cup of vegetable broth for about 10 minutes, or until onions are soft.
- In small bowl, make a paste with cumin and 1 tablespoonful of broth, stir it into the pot, and simmer for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add sweet potato and remaining broth and simmer for 10 minutes, until sweet potato softens.
- Add bell pepper and corn, and simmer, covered, for another 10 minutes, or until all of the vegetables are tender.
- Puree about half of the soup in blender or food processor and return it to the pot; the soup will be creamy and thick.
- Add another cup of vegetable broth, if desired, plus salt to taste.
- Gently reheat on low heat.
- If desired, top with a dollop of reduced-fat sour cream and chopped cilantro.