Pumpkin Apple Bacon Soup
1 can(s)pumpkin puree 30 ounces
6 slicebacon of your choice
3 mediumgranny smith apples
5 cchicken broth, low salt
1 cheavy cream
1 Tbspbacon grease
1 tsppumpkin pie spice
3 Tbspbrown sugar-packed
1/2 tspsage, dried (optional)
1/2 tspthyme, dried (optional)
How to Make Pumpkin Apple Bacon Soup
- Peel and finely chop onion and set aside.
- Core, peel and chop apples into small to medium chunks and set aside.
- Prepare bacon by cooking crisp, then crumbling into bacon bits, and set aside.
- In a large dutch oven, heat the bacon grease, then add in the onions, apples and spices until onions are translucent (approximately 8-10 minutes) medium-high heat.
- Add in the chicken broth and bring to a boil on high heat until the apples are soft.
- Reduce heat to medium, add in pumpkin and bacon. Allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- With an immersion blender, puree the soup, adding in the heavy cream. (You may substitute softened, chunked cream cheese also).
- I do not have an immersion blender, so I placed the soup in batches in my blender adding in the cream. Soup will be velvety. Like a bisque. You may also, leave some bacon bits aside to garnish on top and add some pumpkin seeds to the top for a nice added touch.