Plantain Soup or "Sopa de Plantano"
- 1 large onion chopped small
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed or minced
- 1 rib of celery chopped small
- 1 small carrot chopped small
- 5 to 5 1/2 c chicken broth
- 2 green plantains diced small
- 1 yellow half ripened plantain
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 to 1 1/2 t cumin (depends on your taste)
- 1/4 c chopped cilantro leaves
- salt and pepper
How to Make Plantain Soup or "Sopa de Plantano"
- 1Saute first four ingredients in olive oil in a large saucepan just until tender. Do not brown them up
- 2add broth to this and bring to a boil.
- 3Add all remaining ingredients and return to a boil. Then turn heat down and allow soup to simmer for about 45 minutes or until plantains are tender.
- 4Remove the bay leaf and discard. Then pour the soup into a blender and puree, adding additional broth if too thick. Return to saucepan and heat few minutes before serving.
- 5Pour into bowls and serve with some fresh hot cuban bread. Squeese a lime over the top of each bowl of soup to add a little extra kick