Plantain Soup or "Sopa de Plantano"
·1 large onion chopped small
·3 garlic cloves, crushed or minced
·1 rib of celery chopped small
·1 small carrot chopped small
·5 to 5 1/2 c chicken broth
·2 green plantains diced small
·1 yellow half ripened plantain
·1 bay leaf
·1 to 1 1/2 t cumin (depends on your taste)
·1/4 c chopped cilantro leaves
·salt and pepper
How to Make Plantain Soup or "Sopa de Plantano"
- Saute first four ingredients in olive oil in a large saucepan just until tender. Do not brown them up
- add broth to this and bring to a boil.
- Add all remaining ingredients and return to a boil. Then turn heat down and allow soup to simmer for about 45 minutes or until plantains are tender.
- Remove the bay leaf and discard. Then pour the soup into a blender and puree, adding additional broth if too thick. Return to saucepan and heat few minutes before serving.
- Pour into bowls and serve with some fresh hot cuban bread. Squeese a lime over the top of each bowl of soup to add a little extra kick