Pappa al Pomodor (Tomato and Bread Soup)
- fine sea salt
- 4 pounds tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- two large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 7 ounces sliced day old rustic country bread, torn into small pieces
How to Make Pappa al Pomodor (Tomato and Bread Soup)
- 1bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add tomatoes and cook for 30 seconds. Drain. Peel, quarter and see, then coarsely chop.
- 2In a large pan, mix basil, oil and garlic. Heat over medium heat until oil begins to bubble. Add tomatoes, 1/4 teaspoons salt and a generous pinch of pepper. Gently simmer, stirring occasionally 20 minutes. Meanwhile bring 1 3/4 cup water just to a boil, then remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
Add bread and a 1 3/4 cups hot water to tomato mixture. Stir once just to mix then cook two minutes more. Remove pot from heat. Cover soup and let stand one hour.
- 3To serve, stir together soup to break up bread, then gently reheat. Adjust seasoning to taste. Divide soup among bowls and drizzle with oil. Makes four servings.