1 lbsplit green peas
1 largeham bone
2-3 cham - cubed
1/4 - 1/2 conions - chopped
3 Tbspbutter, unsalted
2 tspkosher salt
1/2 - 1 tspfresh ground black pepper
2 cwhole milk
How to Make Panda's Split Pea with Ham Soup
- Wash and soak peas over night cover in hot water.
- Drain and put peas into 5 Qt. Dutch oven and cover with water, add ham bone and onion. Boil until peas are soft (about an hour or so).
- Remove ham bone and use an emersion blender to thoroughly blend pea mixture or you can put it in a food processor to blend. Put back into pot.
- Add cubed ham and heat through on medium to low heat while you're making the roux.
- In a sauce pan melt butter, blend in the flour, salt & pepper. Heat until mixture bubbles to make a roux. Stir constantly so it doesn’t burn, this can happen very quickly!
- Remove roux from heat. Add milk gradually stirring constantly with a whisk.
Put back onto heat and bring to a rapid boil, cook 1-2 minutes longer stirring often.
- Blend into pea mixture, heat thoroughly.