- 1 lb
- split green peas
- 1 large
- ham bone
- 3 qt
- 2-3 c
- ham - cubed
- 1/4 - 1/2 c
- onions - chopped
- 3 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted
- 3 Tbsp
- 2 tsp
- kosher salt
- 1/2 - 1 tsp
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 c
- whole milk
How to Make Panda's Split Pea with Ham Soup
- 1Wash and soak peas over night cover in hot water.
- 2Drain and put peas into 5 Qt. Dutch oven and cover with water, add ham bone and onion. Boil until peas are soft (about an hour or so).
- 3Remove ham bone and use an emersion blender to thoroughly blend pea mixture or you can put it in a food processor to blend. Put back into pot.
- 4Add cubed ham and heat through on medium to low heat while you're making the roux.
- 5In a sauce pan melt butter, blend in the flour, salt & pepper. Heat until mixture bubbles to make a roux. Stir constantly so it doesn’t burn, this can happen very quickly!
- 6Remove roux from heat. Add milk gradually stirring constantly with a whisk.
Put back onto heat and bring to a rapid boil, cook 1-2 minutes longer stirring often.
- 7Blend into pea mixture, heat thoroughly.