Oyster Bar's Green Split Pea Soup with Crabmeat
The price for a bowl of the spectacular St. Patrick’s shamrock-colored special is $7.25 on both the lunch and dinner menu for those who seek greener pastures below sea level at Grand Central Terminal.
- 1 c
- medium chopped spanish onions
- 1 Tbsp
- minced garlic
- 1/8 c
- good olive oil
- 1/2 tsp
- dried oregano
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 c
- medium diced carrots
- 1 lb
- green split peas, rinsed
- 8 c
- chicken stock or broth
- 12 oz
- jumbo lump crabmeat, picked through the shells
- 1/4 c
- creme fraiche
- 1/4 tsp
- cayenne pepper
- 1/2 c
- croutons of your choice
How to Make Oyster Bar's Green Split Pea Soup with Crabmeat
- 1In a 4 quart stock pot on medium heat, sauté the onions with olive oil and pepper until the onions are translucent, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 2Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- 3Add the carrots, half the split peas and the chicken stock.
- 4Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered for 40 minutes.
- 5Skim off the foam while cooking.
- 6Add the remaining split peas and continue to simmer for another 40 minutes or until all the peas are soft.
- 7Stir frequently to keep the solids from burning on the bottom.
- 8At the end, check for salt and pepper.
- 9Add all the crabmeat to the soup, after it is finished.
- 10Let sit 5 minutes to warm the crabmeat, but do not boil again or crabmeat will break up.
- 11Mix crème fraiche with cayenne pepper and pinch of salt.