- 3 lbs. pork meat for carnitas
- 1 whole head of garlic (just peel off the loosest paper and cut the tip off the point end)
- 1 large (or 2 medium onions, cut into chunks
- 1 large (108 oz.) can hominy, drained and rinsed
- 4 dried (guajillo peppers (reconstituted and seeded)
- ½ tsp. cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- shredded cabbage and thinly sliced radishes for serving (optional)
How to Make Maricela’s Pozole
- 3Boil gently 1 to 2 hours…or until the meat is very tender. Remove the meat and let cool a little so you can pick through for fat and remove anything unwanted.
- 4Scoop out the onion and garlic; squeeze the garlic out of its skin and place the soft garlic, onions and reconstituted/seeded peppers in a blender.
- 5Add about 1½ cup of stock and blend very well.
- 7Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with finely shredded cabbage and thinly sliced radishes, if desired.
- 8Serve with homemade flour or corn tortillas.