Kathy's Lentil Soup
It makes a great meal with a salad and some crusty bread.
- 2 stalk(s)
- celery, diced
- carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 medium
- onion, diced
- 3 clove
- garlic, sliced thin
- 1 c
- mushrooms, diced
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 can(s)
- (28 oz) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 c
- lentils, rinsed and drained
- 8 c
- vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp
- fresh thyme (or 2 t dried)
- 1 c
- ditalini (or other small pasta) cooked and drained
How to Make Kathy's Lentil Soup
- 1In a large stock pot over medium heat, saute onion, garlic, carrots and celery with the oil for about 5 minutes.
- 2Add mushrooms and saute for 5 more minutes.
- 3Season with salt and pepper. Add tomatoes and their juice. Simmer 5 minutes or so.
- 4Stir in the lentils. Add broth and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the lentils are done. About 50 minutes or so.
- 5Stir in the cooked ditalini and cook for 3 minutes to heat through.
Note: Cooking your pasta before adding it to the soup will keep it from absorbing too much liquid and turning to mush.
- 6Check seasoning and serve.