Kathy's Lentil Soup
It makes a great meal with a salad and some crusty bread.
2 stalk(s)celery, diced
2carrots, peeled and diced
1 mediumonion, diced
3 clovegarlic, sliced thin
1 cmushrooms, diced
1 can(s)(28 oz) diced tomatoes with juice
1 clentils, rinsed and drained
8 cvegetable broth
1 Tbspfresh thyme (or 2 t dried)
1 cditalini (or other small pasta) cooked and drained
How to Make Kathy's Lentil Soup
- In a large stock pot over medium heat, saute onion, garlic, carrots and celery with the oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and saute for 5 more minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add tomatoes and their juice. Simmer 5 minutes or so.
- Stir in the lentils. Add broth and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the lentils are done. About 50 minutes or so.
- Stir in the cooked ditalini and cook for 3 minutes to heat through.
Note: Cooking your pasta before adding it to the soup will keep it from absorbing too much liquid and turning to mush.
- Check seasoning and serve.