Kathy's Cajun Shrimp Gumbo
I learned young to make Gumbo and Shrimp is my hallmark. With the price of seafood today, I do not make it as much as I used to as a big pot for a party can be pretty pricey.
All my friends request it and I have even coached many people on how to make Gumbo. I make it the way my mother and grandmother made it, so hopefully the tradition will continue with my daughters.
5 lbshrimp, peeled and deveined
1 mediumgreen bellpepper, chopped
1 ccelery, chopped
1 mediumonion, chopped
2 bunchgreen onions, chopped
1/2 cparsley, chopped
1 Tbspgarlic, minced
3 Tbspsalt and pepper (more to taste)
2 Tbspcayenne pepper
2/3 cgumbo file'
How to Make Kathy's Cajun Shrimp Gumbo
- Bring 10 cups of water to a rapid boil in a large soup pot.
- Stir in roux and simmer until roux is dissolved. (See my microwave roux recipe).
- Stir in all finely chopped vegetables and salt & peppers. Simmer on a slow boil for 45 minutes until vegatables are tender.
- Drop in shrimp (you can also add crabs, crab meat and/or oysters at that time). Continue to cook on simmer for 45 minutes until shrimp are tender.
- Turn off heat and add gumbo file' (this helps thicken the gumbo). Let it sit for a minimum of 30 minutes. The longer it sits, the better the flavor. It is always better the 2nd day.
- Serve over steamed white rice.