Julia Child's French Onion Soup
How to Make Julia Child's French Onion Soup
- Set saucepan over moderate heat with butter and oil; when butter has melted, stir in onions, cover and cook slowly until onions are translucent and tender, about 10 minutes.
- Blend in salt and sugar and raise heat to medium-high, let the onions brown, stirring often until they are a dark walnut color, 25-30 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over onions and cook slowly, stirring for another 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat, let cool a moment, then whisk in 2 cups of hot stock. When blended, bring to a simmer, adding rest of stock, the brandy and Vermouth.
- Cover loosely, and simmer very slowly for 1 1/2 hours, adding a little water if the liquid reduces too much.
- Correct seasonings. May be served with some freshly grated Swiss and Parmesan cheese over top.
- Soup may also be served with toasted french bread slice and cheeses. Ladle soup into individual heat proof ramekins. Top with toasted french bread slice, 1 slice Provolone, 1 slice Swiss cheese and grated fresh Parmesan cheese. Put under broiler until golden and bubbly. Bon Apetite!