Italian Wedding Soup
- 1 bunch
- escarole, or fresh spinach
- 6 qt
- chicken broth
- 3 large
- carrots, chopped
- 1 lb
- ground beef, or ground turkey
- 2 large
- 1/2 c
- very finely minced onion
- 1 c
- plain bread crumbs
- 1 c
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp
- freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 8 oz
- ditalini or tubetti pasta, or any small pasta
- freshly grated parmesan cheese to sprinkle over soup
FOR THE MEATBALLS:
How to Make Italian Wedding Soup
- 1Trim escarole by cutting off stem ends. Separate leaves and wash well in cool water, especially the center of leaves where soil collects. Stack the leaves and cut them crosswise into 1-inch strips. You should have about 4 cups. *If using spinach, rinse well before adding to soup.
- 2In a large pot, combine the escarole, or spinach, broth, and carrots. Bring to a simmer and cook until escarole is tender, about 30 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, mix together all of the meatball ingredients. Shape the mixture into tiny balls, less than 1-inch in diameter.
- 4When escarole or spinach, is cooked, stir in the pasta and return to a simmer. Carefully drop the meatballs into the soup. Cook over low heat. stirring gently, until the meatballs and pasta are cooked, about 20 minutes. Taste for seasoning.
- 5Ladle soup into bowls, and sprinkle with the extra parmesan cheese, if desired.