★★★★★ 1 vote5
1/2 smallginger, fresh & peeled
3 stickcelery stalks
How to Make Homemade Vegetable Stock
- 1. Cut a peeled and halved onion into large chunks.
2. Slice the celery leaves into large pieces. Those on the outside of the bunch are extremely bitter and should not be added to the stock. Remove and discard these leaves from the celery stalks
3. Peel and chop the carrots into large pieces. If you would like to preserve more of the carrot's natural nutrients, do not peel it as the nutrients are in the carrot's skin. Instead, scrub the carrot under cold running water, then chop the carrot into pieces
- 4. Break up the whole bulb of garlic into individual cloves and peel these garlic cloves. There is no need to chop the garlic. A full bulb of garlic is used because garlic is the base flavor in vegetable stock.
5. Once all of your ingredients have been prepared, mix them in a large stockpot with enough water to cover all of the vegetables.
6. Add peppercorns, bay leaf and fresh peeled ginger.
- . Put it on a high temperature, and bring the stock to a quick simmer. Once the water has begun to boil, turn the temperature down to low. Allow the vegetables to simmer for one hour, but not more than one hour, otherwise the vegetables will begin to t
8. Strain your stock with a fine straining device while the stock is at its peak (about an hour after it was placed on the stove).
9. The stock should be light in color, sweet, and translucent. You can refrigerate this vegetable stock for up to 1 month bottled in freezer.