Homemade French Onion Soup
2 largeonions (yellow or white)
4 cbeef broth
1 Tbspvegetable or canola oil
1 tspapple cider vinegar
·salt/pepper to taste
2 slicefrench bread (thick cut)
4 slicemozzarella cheese
How to Make Homemade French Onion Soup
- Peel and cut the onions in half, then slices.
- add the butter and oil to a large pot on medium, add the onions, salt and pepper and stir to coat, cover and let the onions cook down until translucent ( stirring occasionally) about 15 mins.
- Uncover and continue cooking and stirring till golden brown another 15 mins. ( careful not to burn)/
- add in the flour and stir about a minute, then the apple cider vinegar as well as the Beef broth ( you can substitute vegetable broth for a vegetarian version)
- add in the thyme and let simmer another 10 mins.
- lightly toast a thick piece of french bread, in an oven proof bowl, pour soup almost to top, then place the bread and cover with 2 ( OK maybe 3) slices of mozzarella cheese.
- Broil about 5 mins, until cheese is melted, bubbly and edges are perfectly brown....ENJOY the gooey deliciousness hearty soup.