Heaven In A Bowl - Cheddar Cheese Ale Soup
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 3 large
- garlic cloves, minced
- celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 small
- onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 c
- all purpose flour
- salt and ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp
- chopped thyme
- 1 large
- jalapeno, ribbed, seeded, and chopped
- 4 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- 12 oz
- favorite bottle brown or pale ale
- 1 c
- heavy cream
- 1 pkg
- 12 oz. thick cut bacon, diced
- 2 1/4 c
- chicken broth
- 3/4 lb
- sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely shredded
How to Make Heaven In A Bowl - Cheddar Cheese Ale Soup
- 1In a large saucepan or dutch oven, cook the bacon, stirring occasionally, until the fat renders and the bacon is crisp, about 8 minutes.
- 2Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to drain on a paper towel. Crumble any overly large pieces between your fingers, or chop quickly with a knife.
- 3Add the celery, onion, jalapeno, garlic and thyme to the rendered fat in the saucepan.
- 4Cook over moderate heat, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan, stirring often, until vegetables soften, about 8 minutes.
- 5Add half of the beer and cook until reduced by half, 5 minutes.
- 6Add 2 1/4 cups of chicken broth and return to a simmer.
- 7In a small skillet, melt the butter.
- 8Whisk in the flour and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- 9Whisk the roux into the soup until combined, and bring to a simmer. Cook until thickened, about 8 minutes.
- 10Add the heavy cream, cheddar cheeses and the remaining beer and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thick and creamy, about 5 minutes.
- 11Stir in the bacon and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.