Garlic Soup "The Poor Man's Soup"
- 20 clove
- fresh garlic smashed down real good
- 8 c
- cubed french, or italian or cuban bread best if day old
- 2 qt
- homemade chicken broth or canned
- 1 small
- can tomato sauce
- 1/4 c
- diced parsley curly or flat leaf
- 2 large
- 3/4 c
- good virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp
- salt or to suit your taste
- 1/2 tsp
- fresh cracked black pepper
How to Make Garlic Soup "The Poor Man's Soup"
- 1Peel and smash about two heads of fresh garlic. Set aside. Next cut and cube day old bread. Do not use dark breads or croutons. Soup does not come out with the same flavor. In a large heavy pot heat some olive oil and begin to fry your bread a little at a time until all of the cubes get a coating of olive oil. Bread shoud be a little browned remove each batch into a seperate container. After all the bread is done heat the last of the oil and saute your crushed garlic and parsley. You may need a little more olive oil. Lower the heat so the garlic does not burn. When the garlic and parsley are limp return the bread to the pot and mix well. Next add your chicken broth and bring the heat up. With a wire wisk begin breaking up the bread in the broth until all the bread is broken down and incorporated. Bring the soup up to a boil.
- 2Next break the eggs in a bowl and beat with a fork as if to make scrambled eggs & set aside. When the soup begins to boil add your can of tomato sauce, salt and pepper stir well and add the eggs slowly in a circular motion wait a moment and then stir again in a circular motion. Turn off the heat cover the soup and let it rest for 5 minutes. Serve your soup with any toppings you may desire such as diced cooked hard boiled eggs, or a little sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Enjoy