Garden Fresh Tomato Soup
1) I used low sodium chicken broth
2) I used 1/8 tsp ground cloves instead of the 4 whole cloves. We found this to be just the right amount of clove flavor for us.
3) I did not make the roux but I did add the 2 T. butter at the end along with about 3/4 cup heavy cream as we prefer cream of tomato soup.
It was delicious! It made about 6 cups total. We had enough to freeze for a cold winter's meal.
4 cfresh tomatoes, skinned and chopped
1 largeonion sliced
2 cchicken or vegetable broth
3/4 cheavy cream (optional)
How to Make Garden Fresh Tomato Soup
- Place chopped tomatoes and onion in heavy dutch oven. Add the chicken broth and cloves. Boil 20 minutes or until the tomatoes and onion are cooked. Remove from the heat and blend with an immersion blender (or can do in blender).
- To make the roux: melt butter in small pan, add flour and cook gently until golden in color. Add 1 ladle of the tomato soup and blend well.
- Add the roux mixture to the tomato soup mixture and blend well. Add the salt and sugar and optional heavy cream. Heat through and serve!