Double Duty Vegetable Soup
- small to medium sized blue hubbard squash, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- small bag of carrots cut into chunks
- small bag of parsnips cut into chunks
- yellow bell pepper cut into chunks
- red pepper cut into chunks
- chicken thighs with skins on
- cups cauliflower florets
- to 1 1/2 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- sprigs of lemon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon of whole peppercorns
How to Make Double Duty Vegetable Soup
- 1In a VERY large stock pot, add all of your cut up veggies, cover with water and bring it to a simmer, add your chicken thighs and simmer on low for about 2 hours.
- 2When everything is cooked and tender, remove chicken and set aside. Now I always strain my soups, so I strained about 1/3 of the broth and cleaned the chicken off the bones, removed skins, and added the meat to the broth, (add cooked pasta or rice and there is dish 1 and oh boy was that good). Now Soup 2... I had a clean stock pot and I ladeled broth and veggies into blender and pureed in batches until everything was smooth. It was such a beautiful yellow/orangish color. I also said to myself, well if its too thick I can always thin it out with a ladel or two of the other broth. It was simply amazing. So we had two meals out of this one pot!