Creamy Tomato Soup with Couscous
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil
- medium-size yellow onion, chopped
- garlic clove, minced
- 3 c
- vegetable broth or stock
- 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes (do not drain!)
- 1 Tbsp
- tomato paste
- sugar or natural sweetener
- bay leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c
- cooked israeli or regular couscous
- 2 Tbsp
- chopped fresh basil leaves for garnish
How to Make Creamy Tomato Soup with Couscous
- 1Heat the oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 2Transfer the onion and garlic to a 4-quart slow cooker. Add the stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, and bay leaves, and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours. Remove the bay leaves. Puree the soup in a food processor or blender, or use an immersion blender to puree it in the slow cooker. Adjust the seasonings.
- 3To serve, spoon about 1/4 cup of cooked couscous into the bottom of each bowl, ladle the hot soup on top, and serve sprinkled with the basil.