2 can(s)beef broth, stock or consomme
2onions large or medium thick sliced
1 Tbspolive oil, extra virgin is my choice
dash(es)salt and pepper
·swiss cheese to top (optional)
·crouton to top (optional)
1 can(s)water 15 oz.
How to Make Classic French Onion Soup
- Slice Onions fairly thick then halve and quarter slices, and Saute in Butter and Olive Oil, until translucent. Don't over brown.
- In a soup or stock pan add the 2 cans of Beef Stock, and one 15 oz. can of Water, 2 pats of Butter and dash of Salt and Pepper. Simmer for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Add Sauteed Onions to soup pan.
- Add 1/2 cup water to pan Onions were sauteed in and collect scrappings from bottom and add to soup pot. Simmer another 10 to 20 minutes. Add Salt and Pepper to taste.
- To serve: Ladle soup into bowl, top with a thin slice of Swiss Cheese and a slice of toasted baguette or some croutons, if you wish. Enjoy!
- You could add a few slices of Green Onion Tops or Chives, or get Creative.