★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 5 lbs
- yellow or vidalia onions mix it up
- about 1 gallon good beef broth (homemade if possible) low sodium enough to cover fimal product by about 2 inches
- cooking sherry
- provolone or swiss loraine and fontina cheese sliced
- croutons whatever you like
How to Make classic French onion soup
- 1Start by peeling and slicing onions cut in half from en d to end then start to slice about quarter inch slices from end to end.
- 2In a large saute pan over medium heat Start to caramelize onions do not add extra fat sugars will come out of the onion takes a little time. Wait until onions are nice and Browned without burning. May take a little practice.
- 3Put caramelized onions in a large pot then deglaze pan with cooking sherry. Pour liquid into the pot. Repeat process for remaing onions.
- 4Ed be for us to about 2or3 inches above onions. Bring to be a boil then turn off. In oven safe Super soup bowls place croutons ladle soup plac e bowls on sheet tray to avoid spills put cheese on top and place in 350 degree oven untill cheese is browned. ENJOY!!!!