3 qtfreshly made stock
3 largeegg whites
3 ozmeat. whatever kind of stock you are making if it's chicken use chicken meat if it's beef use hamburger meat
1leak finely chopped
1rib celery finely chopped
1 mediumcarrot peeled and finely chopped
1tomato finely chopped
·handful of fresh herbs such as parsley, cilantro or oregano
How to Make Clarifying Stock
- Put all your veggies and meat in a large stock pot. Add the egg whites and mix it well. Pour your cold stock over the veggies and eggs. Slowly bring it close to a boil stirring constantly. Once it starts to bubble lower the heat and just keep it at a gentle simmer for a half an hour. Do not stir.
- What is going to happen is the protein in the meat and egg whites are going to coagulate trapping the veggies and it forms a crust on the top of the stock.
- Generally the bubbles from the stock will begin to make a small hole or crack in the top. Just enlarge the hole carefully with a ladle.
- After a half an hour remove it from the heat and let sit for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the crust from the top or brush it to the side and ladle the stock through a fine mesh strainer lined with cheesecloth. You can even use a clean towel, or coffee filter.
- You can freeze the stock and it will keep for 2 to 3 months