Chunky Tomato Soup (Use fresh or canned tomatoes)
I didn't have any cheese on hand when I made this last -but it is good with Parmesan Cheese grated over the top of each individual's bowl of soup.
This is so comforting on a chilly or cold day!
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 largeonion, thinly sliced (i used vidalia -but use what you have)
1/3 cfinely chopped celery
3 Tbspthinly sliced carrots
3 Tbspunsalted butter
2 can(s)diced tomatoes, 28 oz size (or use 8 large fresh tomatoes, diced and seeded)
8 cvegetable (or chicken) stock/broth
3 Tbspuncooked rice
1/2 tspsalt (or to taste)
·thyme, dried to taste (i used 2 teaspoons -gives it a good, distinct taste.
·freshly ground pepper to taste
1/3 cfinely chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
·grated parmesan cheese, if desired.
How to Make Chunky Tomato Soup (Use fresh or canned tomatoes)
- In a saucepan (or soup pot), saute onion, celery and carrots in butter until soft but not brown.
- Add tomatoes and a small amount of vegetable (or chicken) stock/broth. Simmer 20 minutes.
- In a soup pot, combine sauteed vegetables, remaining broth and rice. Season with salt, thyme and pepper. NOTE: If you use the soup pan to saute the vegetables (step 1), you can just combine everyting in that one pot (and not dirty up another pan).
- Simmer 20 to 30 minutes. Serve garnished with parsley and grated parmesean cheese, if desired.
- NOTE 1: TOMATOES: When using canned, diced tomatoes, don't use petite diced. I use Southern Home brand, which are more chunky. Also, just spoon the diced tomatoes out of the can and discard or save the juice for something else.
- NOTE 2: I used 2 (4 cup; 32 oz size) cartons of vegetable stock. I actually used one of vegetable stock and one of vegetable broth. If you don't want it vegetarian, you can use chicken broth and/or stock.
- NOTE 3: This would make a wonderful base for a vegetable soup; just add more carrots and celery and any other vegetables that you like.