4 lbchicken carcasses, including necks and backs
1 largeyellow onion, quartered
4 largecarrots, peeled and cut in half
4 largecelery ribs, cut in half
1leek, white part only, cut in half lengthwise
10 sprig(s)fresh thyme
10 sprig(s)fresh parsley with stems
3 clovegarlic, peeled and smashed
2 galcold water
How to Make Chicken Stock
- Place chicken, vegetables, and herbs and spices in 12-quart stockpot and add cold water.
- Bring to boil then turn heat down to medium low to maintain a gentle simmer.
- Skim the scum from the stock every half hour or so. Add hot water as needed to keep bones and vegetables submerged. Simmer uncovered for 6 to 8 hours.
- Strain stock through a fine mesh strainer into another large stockpot or heatproof container discarding the solids.
- Cool immediately in large cooler of ice or a sink full of ice water.
- Place in refrigerator overnight. Remove solidified fat from surface of liquid and store in container with lid in refrigerator for 2 to 3 days or in freezer for up to 3 months. Prior to use, bring to boil for 2 minutes. Use as a base for soups and sauces.