Barley Prosciutto Soup
I reduced the amount of peas from the original recipe by half because they seemed to overpower the other good flavors
★★★★★ 1 vote5
4 Tbspbutter or margarine
1/4 cfinely chopped shallots
1/4 cpearl barley,
3 cchicken broth
1/4 lbprosciutto or other dry-cured ham,cut into julienne strips
1/4 tspblack pepper,freshly ground
1 cheavy cream, cold (optional)
5 ozfrozen baby peas (petits pois) about half a package
1 cgrated or shredded parmesan cheese and a little nut meg as garnish
How to Make Barley Prosciutto Soup
- Stir butter and shallots in a 4-5 quart dutch oven.cover and cook over medium heat until shallots are translucent and soft,about 6 minutes.Add barley and stir constantly until it turns a light golden color,about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken stock,the thin sliced prosciutto or ham and the pepper.
- Cover,bring to a boil.Reduce heat and simmer over low heat until the barley is tender NOT MUSHY,about 30 minutes.
- Add cream and peas.Heat through before serving,Do Not bring to a boil.
- Serve in hot tureen and bowls. Pass the cheese and nutmeg, please ,for garnish